Joytirvidh Shyama Gurudev
INTRODUCTION TO VASTU SHASTRA :
‘Vastu Shastra’ or the ‘Science of Architecture’ is a form of traditional Hindu architecture. It is considered as a part of Astrology’s third stream called ‘Sanghita’ or ‘Collection’. Vastu concerns itself with space, time and architecture while Astrology works with time, making the blend of both an important influence in human life.
In India, Vastu Shastra is believed to have a strong influence on people, their behavior and their success in various areas of their life. Modelling your home according to Vastu is therefore considered one of the most influential ways of channelizing this energy. Based on the Panchabhoutik theory of astrology and the twelve zodiac signs associated with it, they provide significant importance of direction.
The following charts are an illustration of how Vastu and Astrological planets are related to each other.
|East||Living Room, Bathroom (no toilet)|
|North-West||Guest room, Bathroom, Grain Storage|
|North||Living (sitting) room, Safe|
|South- West||Master bedroom, heavy storage|
|North- East||Worship room, Living room|
|West||Children’s Bedroom, Store room, Study|
The placement of parts of your house in accordance to these important directions play an influential role in personal as well as overall development of your family. Depending on your Sun sign, the direction of placement of rooms in your house may change. You might want to take the advice of a professional who would look into your signs and guide you in the ideal direction. This would be based on your Sun sign and the impact of the ruling planet together with the directional force exerted by the Vastu of your home. However, in general, here are some of the rules that would help you harness positive energy in a specific room. Ideally, these need to be looked into while constructing your house but you can always do corrections and renovate accordingly.
In your living room:
- Have a front facing living area
- The owner should be facing the east or north direction
- Other members can sit beside or opposite the owner
- Have the main door in the north area
- Having a flooring at lower level helps give a good sense to your family
In your bedroom:
- Bedroom door should open at least 90 degrees
- Have adequate space to move and avoid clutter
- Ensure your head points south as you sleep
- Avoid sleeping in line with any sharp corners
In your kitchen:
- South-East is the ideal direction for a kitchen
- Colors like blue, red, green and yellow promote good health
- Exhaust and gas should be placed in the south-eastern corner
- Refrigerator and other electrical appliances are to be kept in the southern corner
These are some of the thumb rules followed according to the ‘Vastu Shastra’ for any home. However, it is always recommended you consult a reputed astrologer and seek guidance specific to your home and family for the peace and prosperity in your house.